The State Darwin Museum was established in 1907 by A.F. Kots as educational museum at the Moscow Higher Women's Courses. It was the first museum of biological evolution in the world.
Today the State Darwin Museum is:
The largest museum of natural science that occupies 3 buildings with the total area more than 20 000 sq. m;
Modern exposition illustrating different evolution processes (5 000 sq. m);
Collections including about 400 000 exhibits;
More than 50 exhibitions a year in exhibition halls with the total area about 1000 sq. m;
More than 500 000 visitors a year;
Organization of scientific conferences and seminars, ecological and family festivals;
Extensive publishing and educational activities;
Introduction of the latest museum technologies.
At the "Intermuseum" festival in 2007 the Darwin Museum was recognized as the best museum of the year and was awarded the Grand Prix.